Monday, June 21, 2010

"An experience in a new contry " Mrs. Kristi

As I decided to move to another country, which I’ve done two times before for variety reasons, and that either time has been as stressful as the first time, I realized that my family and I had to face some issues:
First, settling into new country which means new sights, new people, strange accents or completely new language. Moreover, we had a mix of excitement and anxiety. In addition to that, there are emotional aspects to deal with that come from saying goodbye to family and friends. Also, I was concerned about how I would cope with such an subversion in my life. How would I adjust to live in a new land which varies greatly from person to person and from circumstance to circumstance?
Secondly, I learned about where I was going. One of the important things was to understand and know as much as I could about the place, which has been related to the local culture, customs, religion, moral, ideals and beliefs which are importantly and moreover what are not also.
Certainly, I learned about social rules being aware of what is acceptable and what is not. In some cultures, for example, spitting in the public is considered acceptable while in other countries it is intended extremely offensive behavior. Knowing the history of the country made me to understand some of those customs and behaviors and gave me an insight into the country.
The third, fill out the paperwork. Since at the beginning I made sure I had all the information which needed to obtain items like Social Security numbers, bank accounts and tax numbers, which would make me and my family feel like part of local populace.
In additonal to, Choosing where to live had a dramatic effect to me. This has been related to some issues like public transport, travel time to work, the ambience of the neighborhood I and my family intended to live in, safety, shopping, and cost of living in that area. Also, I liked living into the area that already had a community of similar migrants or strong cultural connections to their homeland. For all of those, my friends' contribution has been valued.
Finally, learning the language was very important because it would help me to achieve new possibility and opportunity for finding a job and so on. Regarding to this fact I remembered once a worker, in the factory where I just started job, asked me about the job, and I was not able to answer what he wanted to know,saying,"I don't speak english." It made me feel embarrased, but he calmly gave me an address in a piece of letter. This address was about school I supposed to attend. This was good advice at that time to learn english. To day I realize that I had to go at school since at the beginning of starting the job, but better late than never.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Edmund--

    Good work on this. You have a few problems with capitalization and commas that you need to fix, and today we will work on making your focus a bit tighter. Nice work.

    --:-) Kristi

    ReplyDelete